The mission of the INN is to advance the scientific and technological knowledge by conducting basic and applied research in a wide range of Physical, Chemical and Engineering Sciences with emphasis in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. The research activities span from the study of processes to the development of materials, devices and systems driven by scientific excellence and innovation. Special attention is given in the exploitation of the results for the benefit of the Greek Economy and Society in key socio-economic sectors including Nano- and Microelectronics, Photonics, Information Technology, Energy, Environment, Health, Food, Cultural Heritage, Built Environment and Space. INN provides a unique environment to promote and support world-class multidisciplinary basic and applied research, while forging ties with industry and SMEs it promotes the transfer of innovation to the market. The RTD activities of INN are structured in five concerned actions (programs):
- Chemical Sciences for Nanostructures and Biological Applications
- Cultural Heritage
- Magnetism and Superconductivity: Advanced Materials and Applications
- Nanochemistry and Nanomaterials
- Nanoelectronics, Photonics and Microsystems.
Innovative Products and Services
- Fabrication of nanostructures Si, organic and molecular materials, graphene and 2D materials, metal oxides and photonic structures.
- Nanofabrication, lithography and plasma processes, molecular beam epitaxy, CVD, ALD, front-end processes, chemical and electrochemical processes.
- Characterization of electrical and optical properties, to the nanoscale with electron and atomic force microscopy (TEM, SEM, AFM, STM).
- Electronic devices (FETs, TFTs, information storage devices, RF passive devices)
- Sensors and microfluidics, energy harvesting, optical and electrical biosensors, LEDs and solar cells.
- Systems (lab-on-a-chip and biosensing systems, gas and flow meters, thermoelectric generators)
- x-ray crystallography, magnetic, resistivity and heat capacity, and Mössbauer, Raman and solid state NMR/EPR spectroscopies, as well as optical and IR spectroscopies.
Experience and Expertise
INN is the largest institute in the country with 78 permanent researches (320 in total) covering a broad range of activities from electronic, magnetic, optical properties of mater to chemical synthesis, growth and nanofabrication, with applications in electronics, photonics, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, nanomedicine, biotechnology, energy, environment, and cultural heritage.
There is concentrated expertise in nanofabrication and materials characterization up to the atomic limit. Synthesis, characterisation, and computational studies of molecules, materials and processes, magnetic, microelectronics/nanoelectronics, photonics, spintronics, energy and information storage, environmental protection, biomedical applications, photocatalysis, solar cells, sensors, advanced ceramics and composites, materials and membranes for environmental separations, and polymers.